Sunday, January 23, 2011

More Information Less Fluff: Week 2

It must have been post run euphoria affecting my brain that produced the last blog entry. I'll try to stay away from the fluff as I outline week two of training. Following The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer for week 2:
Day 1: 3 miles (Monday AM)
Day 2:
4 miles (Wednesday PM)
Day 3: 3 miles (Friday AM)
Day 4: 6 miles (Saturday PM)
Week 2 is the same as week 1 with the exception of one mile being added to the long run on day 4. Last week I felt mostly good except on Monday after running three days in a row. That was a mistake. It is absolutely true that one's body needs time to recover. I felt that need for recovery after running 5 miles yesterday. I will try to work my schedule out to have one day off before and after the long runs, especially as they get longer.
One thing I am learning is to relax while I run. Tension can start to build up and throw my form off. When this happens the first step is to recognize it! Then I slow down a bit, drop my arms and envision my foot hitting the ground like a rocking horse. Weird, I know. Stan taught me this idea. My foot hits the ground and rolls from heel to toe in a nice fluid motion. A few moments of concentrating on getting the form back and releasing tension really helps my run go better.
This week's chapter in the book focuses on staying positive and introduces the "...but it doesn't matter." technique. It goes a little something like, "It's pouring rain outside but it doesn't matter." "My knee hurts but it doesn't matter." "I'm too tired but it doesn't matter." "I have no time today but it doesn't matter." It's essentially a way of avoiding excuses. This strategy seems handy in events off the trail as well. "My child is in a bad mood but it doesn't matter." "The person in front of me just cut me off but it doesn't matter." I don't know how effective this technique will be but it doesn't matter; I'm still going to try it out.
I also read an article in Runner's World magazine (Feb 2011) about mantras. I thought the article was great and I look forward to using some of the mantras they suggested such as, "Claw the ground," when going up a hill, or, "One mile at time," when going long distances. Eventually I would like to come up with my own personal mantra including the words "awesome","totally","survivor","run" and "fierce".

No comments:

Post a Comment