Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Training Week 3: Food, Sleep & Training Partners

Week three of training has already begun! I didn't have time to organize my training schedule and mentally prepare for the week yesterday because we had such a busy weekend. I was up until 11pm on both Saturday and Sunday night. As you could imagine, I was exhausted! I'm an advocate of sleep and believe that the appropriate amount of sleep can change your life. Anyways, let's get to the mileage:
Day 1: 3 miles (Tuesday PM)
Day 2:
4 miles (Thursday PM)
Day 3: 3 miles (Friday AM)
Day 4: 7 miles (Sunday AM)
Once again, one mile has been added to the long run. Last week I changed my schedule a little bit and ran two miles on Friday and seven miles on Saturday. After I complete this week my total mileage will be 48 miles. Damn! I've been sleeping like a baby and eating like a teenager.
I'm not sure how to calculate how many calories I should be consuming but I'm pretty sure a pastrami Reuben, fries, coleslaw, an XL brownie, coke, a salad with ranch dressing, a plate of spaghetti and a bowl of cereal all after 2pm is too much. I did burn approximately 1,600 calories running last week but that is no excuse. I'm trying to do things better this week and I hope I can contain my eating after the long run on Sunday.

I would like to introduce my amazing training partners for the marathon, Rudi and Kelsey. Okay, I'm still trying to convince Kelsey to commit but I'm almost certain she will. She is a busy, working mom of two young kids and just graduated with her master's degree in social work from Pitt. Yes, she lives in Pittsburgh which is not ideal training ground in January/February. A colossal challenge? Indeed. Doable for this supermom? Absolutely.
My other training partner lives in Chicago and is Stan's best friend since their days of high school baseball at Hickman field. Rudi is diligently using the same training book (The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer) and schedule as I am. Being in Chicago, he has had to brave the snow for most of his runs thus far. He loves the snow! We are in contact daily to discuss our runs, injuries, icing, socks, shoes, routes and dinners. He has been a tremendous support for me over the past few weeks and I look forward to completing the training and crossing the finish line with him on May 8th.

I'm going to drop Lucky off at Stan's office for a daddy/son lunch so I can get that first three miles of the week taken care of...

4 comments:

  1. you're putting the pressure on, colleen!

    so... i'm going to do it! i just told someone last night not that i was thinking about it, but that i'm doing it. i'm in!

    and i'm switching to your training diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelso!! I tried to ease the pressure...I'm super excited though:)
    My diet today included a bunch of cookies. When will it end? I don't feel good eating all this garbage food. Although I did also eat nearly an entire head of cabbage today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering about diet and running. Does your training book talk about it? You should post with some more details on this topic...

    Kelsey, now I'll have two friends to route (sp?) for in may! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margums, I am def going to do some research on diet and endurance running. I lost 3 lbs and then gained back 2lbs or something like that because of all the running and eating junk food. I will post about it soon...Maybe tonight after class I can get my training schedule and food stuff squared away.
    I made parsnip pancakes for lunch. Yum!

    ReplyDelete