Sunday, January 16, 2011

Training! Week 1

Today starts the 16 week training program leading up to the marathon on May 8. I am using the training schedule/program in The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by Whitsett, Dolgener and Kole. I will be running four days a week including two short runs, one mid-length run and a long run. This week's schedule is:
Day 1: 3 miles (will do today, AM)
Day 2: 4 miles (tomorrow before class, 2:30)
Day 3: 3 miles (Fri. AM)
Day 4: 5 miles (Sat. afternoon)
I am confident that I will get through this week with ease. Chapter 1 in the book discusses creating an internal locus of control. This is a psychological concept in which people believe that they are in control of the events in their life versus thinking that other people, fate or circumstances dictate the events in their life. Thankfully, I have a strong locus of control. This control will be a necessary element to successfully complete all of the training runs and eventually the marathon. I need to believe that I can effortlessly and joyfully run and run and run...here i go!

2 comments:

  1. I was just realizing in a new way just how far 26 miles is. It's running from my house to the west side of ann arbor and back, it's running from my house almost all the way to Detroit. So crazy. But I know you'll do it. Already off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete