Thursday, April 28, 2011

Running is Meditation.

Okay, So It's Been Awhile...

I've still been preparing for the longest run and race of my life. I have not been tracking my training through the typed word because of other typing obligations. Those obligations pertain to the research papers and article reviews of graduate school. I'm done with my second semester at Georgia State and ready to hit the road with padded socks and fairly new running shoes for Michigan!

Training has been a waxing and waning endeavor. In the beginning I hit every single training run and every single mile. I did get exhausted, mostly physically from the effort. About half-way through I worried a little too much about injury and held back. About four weeks ago, I got back with the program and hit several big runs, 12, 16 and 18. I was supposed to do two of each of those runs according to the training program. Getting past the mental hurdle of an 18 mile run was huge. If you can run 18 miles, you can run a marathon- at least that's what runners say. Learning to pace myself, drink enough water and eat enough jelly beans (and sharkies!) through the long runs will be clutch during the marathon. I am proud of the effort I have put in even if I did not hit all the training runs. I feel completely prepared and confident in running 26.2 miles. Endurance is one of my strong points and will get me through the tough spots and hills.
Worst run of the last 16 weeks: 90 degree heat, directly into the sun in the middle of the day, I ran one mile and felt like I hit the proverbial runner's wall. So, I walked the next six. Pushing myself to get the miles in was a great experience in endurance. I kept going even though I felt terrible and wanted to stop. It was also a little embarrassing that I was walking my usual run.
Best run of the last 16 weeks: (okay, I have two) First, the 18 miles. It felt so good to accomplish that! Second, early in the training I was supposed to run four miles. It was really windy and cold. After a mile I told myself that I could turn around at 1.5 miles and just get three in for the day. At 1.5 miles, I thought, you're crazy, go the distance, get it in, I ended up finishing the four and it felt like I had climbed a mountain. It was amazing to work through physical discomfort by way of mental force.

I could not have done all this work without the support and help of all the awesome people in my life. THANK YOU!!! Everyone that encouraged me via facebook, email, 'liking' my annoying daily running posts, reading this blog, you are great and encouraged me:) Everyone that watched Lucky so I could run...THANK YOU a million times over...! My wonderful friends and family who asked and cared so much about my progress, thank you thank you thank you. Of course, Stanley ♥. Ah, and most importantly, running. Thank you running for the therapy, the healing, the focus. Running a marathon can change your life if you let it.

I'll be 30 and a marathon finisher in just about 9 days!!! I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment